Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The courage only the youth have


Almost 45 years ago a young lady around 26 years old had decided to cross all by herself half the Globe to marry a man she had just seen in black and white pictures. Although all the excitement and wanderings, it should be frightening though.

She was not particularly in love with her future husband. She just wanted get away from the sight of her mother and she simply thought that that was a good way.

I have ended up putting myself into a trap”, she once told me. “Because whenever I argue with my husband I have no place to go but home here.”

Despite all the struggles for living in a foreign land (and all the arguments every couples pass through marriage) she told me she was happy back then as she is today.

Sometimes I think if she had chosen another kind of life (and another husband) I would not be here. Because, you see, she is my beloved mother and I am deeply proud of her “fragile” courage to take a 40 days trip in a ship to get here to Brazil and raise our family with my father. They both are my greatest heroes!

Isn’t someone’s quote that says: “Only the young have this kind of courage. And this kind of courage comes only in the youth.” ?

No comments:

Post a Comment